> >One major caution: be sure the volume you're doing this on is in the
> >Offline_at_IPL in your production SYSTEM CONFIG; you don't want this
> >directory "accidentally" coming online if something happens to the
> >production volume that contains your normal CP directory.
>
> Sorry to disagree: CP will never use a directory found on a volume
that is
> not CP-owned.  CP doesn't even read the allocation map of volumes that
are
> not CP-owned.

Agreed. I take the further step of putting it completely offline to
ensure that there is zero possibility of mistakes unless you really mean
to use it -- you have to consciously do something stupid like add it to
the CP-owned list AND bring it online at IPL AND IPL with the real
directory volume MIA. If someone accidentally adds it somewhere it
shouldn't be, then you still can't shoot yourself in the foot if CP
always offlines it at IPL. You have to do three stupid or unlucky things
in a row to shoot yourself if it's offline at IPL -- at which point,
it's clearly your gun, your head, and your fault.

> The volume of the 1-pack system should be unique too.  This way you
can
> even mount it in the production system to maintain the 1-pack VM
system In
> your production system, define a user SOS with minidisks describing
the
> 1-pack system and yiu can us LINK and DDR to fill it up.

All good suggestions. Also simplifies disk sizing (you can allocate
exactly what the minimum system actually uses, rather than the somewhat
more generous allocations in the default layout (which allow for some
growth over time).