> > We've just been honoring the 3390 all these years by trying to do things
> > they would have done them. Had FBA been more popular at the time of the
> > real 3390's, we might be seeing 3350 mod 81's instead.

Maybe that would be 3370 mod 81?  Or 9336 model something?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, David Boyes wrote:
> Had MVS been able to cope with FBA, rather. FBA was plenty popular with the
> non-MVS crowd.   ...

Don't get me started!!
IT'S SILLY.  MVS demands CKD,  but then hardly uses it.
So the other mainframe op systems are saddled with track-and-record,
prevented from doing "just data" like the rest of the civilized world.

MVS requires CKD for a few piddly things
but in the heavy lifting it uses VSAM which squishes out the
track and record geometry in favor of demand pagable storage.
If they too are going to make disk look like RAM, then why not
use disk geometry that natually matches RAM?

-- R;