From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thu 3/15/2007 4:52 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Historical curiousity question.

On Thursday, 03/15/2007 at 10:55 EST, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >   The CP Directory has information for each user.  At logon time,
> > the information about a single user is available very quickly.
>
> This makes sense to me. IIRC, the VM directory is memory resident so all
> this information is "instantly" available, making for a very fast logon.

Actually, it isn't.  When a user logs on and a VMDBK is created for them,
SOME of the information in the directory is cached in memory.  Other
things, such as LINK, require a trip to DASD.  Since reading the user's
directory entry is a relatively rare event, that's ok.