From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 4:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TCPNJE

On Monday, 04/23/2007 at 10:11 MST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> The situation:
>
> 1.     2 VM systems, 1 first level and the other as a guest, connected

via
> TCPNJE. KEEPALIV=NO specified in the PARM of each.
>
> 2.     The guest shuts down and logs off without draining the link.
>
> 3.      The first level system shows the link as connected long
(sometimes
> days) after the second level system logs off.
>
> Is this normal or do I need to open a problem?

That is exactly why keepalive packets were invented.  If you want to
know
that a TCP connection is no longer "viable" you have send keepalives.
Have
cake.  Eat cake.  Pick one.  :-)

It comes with a downside in that the link will also drop if there is a
loss of connectivity (a routing failure) for the keepalive packet, even
if
you aren't actively trying to send a file at that moment.