> So even if it was to the outside world I wonder if the MF could pick
up a virus meaning
> under the Linux is z/VM which is RACF controlled etc. Im just
wondering is it worth trying
> to make and run and what is it really protecting the Linux file
system?

If you run the Linux guest as a class G user (recommended -- more
privileges are NOT necessary), then you're in a sealed box you can't get
out of, and there is zero possibility of doing harm to the other virtual
machines by memory corruption, etc. Network DOS attacks can happen, but
that's a whole different class of intrusion.

Obviously Windows-oriented attacks cannot work.  One idea that just
occurred to me: if the Linux instance is acting as a file server for
Windows clients, an infected client machine can use it's access to
stored data on the Linux guests to corrupt other stored files, spreading
the infection to other client machines indirectly. Having a virus
scanner as part of Samba or other services will allow the Linux guest to
alert automation on the mainframe to cut off or limit the damage.