That's an indication of the space required for DFSMS's CONTROL file if you
install in into SFS (the other choice is minidisks, which you appear to be
using from prior posts).

In short, that says that the DFSMS CONTROL file would need 300 4k disk
blocks of SFS space, and would be placed in the VMSYS "filepool", and the
"DFSMS.CONTROL" filespace.

If you're note familiar with SFS, it's easier to manage products in SFS
when they run out of disk space (just increase their block "limit")
compared to increasing a minidisk size.   But SFS is (IMHO) very, **VERY**
complicated to administer the first time something doesn't work.  For
example, the first time a filepool needs more disk space added, or when
you're trying to perform backups or restores, or even what would seem to
be a simple task like GRANTing someone access to files.

>From a die-hard VM'er since 1978, my advice would be to stick with
minidisks until you have a chance to experiment with SFS.  It's a steep
learning curve to get to reach the shining light at the top.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"KEETON Dave * OR SDC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
08/07/2007 04:25 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DFSMS/VM

Following up on one of my earlier questions, does anyone know what this
is supposed to mean (from the PLANINFO file generated by VMFINS):

TARGID:          VMSYS:DFSMS.CONTROL
SIZE:                            300
BLKSIZE:                 4K

All of the other information from the PLANINFO file made sense to me,
but this one has me confused.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.