On Wednesday, 08/08/2007 at 08:37 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
>  IIRC, Alan (or was it Chuckie<g>) mentioned quite a while ago that more
and
> more IBM VM products were going to start using SFS as their default
install
> disks.  I am neither pro nor con with regards to using SFS.  Everything
has
> it's place.  We use SFS quite a bit so I don't have to many problems
with it.
>  It has made my life easier from a management point of view.  Users
always want
> more disk space.  I'm busy enough as it is without having to stop what
I'm
> doing, to enlarge a minidisk.  But being an old VM'er, I'd still prefer
> products to be installed on mdisks.  IMO, SFS adds an extra layer of
complexity
> when doing Disaster Recovery testing.

It's not that *products* will use SFS, but z/VM itself, centered on BFS.
The latest example is the LDAP server: it relies on BFS.  The end-user
utilities (ldapadd, etc.), however, only require BFS when using SSL.

The alternative to using BFS (in either case) is to not have the function
at all.  The only financially-viable model to bring an IBM LDAP server to
CMS was to run the z/OS LDAP server in a "cradle", as we do with the
binder/loader and the C/C++ compiler.

In the case of the end-user utilities, it turned out that we could tweak
the cradle to elminate their use of BFS just for a message repository.

If folks have issues about SFS, then you need to get them on the table.  I
don't recall anyone at SHARE, WAVV, or the zExpo bending my ear on this
subject.