I allocate the necessary new volumes with the volume labels specified by IBM. I
can have 510RES and 530RES on different volumes, owned by different virtual
machines and can apply maintenance to one or the other or both. The user
directory is fairly simple class G user with full volume minidisks for the RES,
W01, W02, SPL, PAG etc volumes. Then I think the Program Directory for z/VM
installation materials has a chapter for doing the install second level. It
isn't much more than logging onto that virtual machine, loading the first tape
and follow the instructions. Once the new system is installed, I add a 191
minidisk to the configuration and add some stuff there, one is a 2NDLVL exec
that does some things like define grafs, define storage and ipl the res address
with the loadparm of the virtual console. One thing I add to the SYSTEM CONFIG
in the new system is to add 0009 as the last system console address. Since I
have VSWITCHes on my first level system, I add a NICDEF to the maintenance
machine's directory to attach to an 'inside' vswitch so that I can test tcp/ip.
Virtual CTCA's can connect the first level RSCS with the second level RSCS. Or
VTAM if you run that. One good thing about having a second level machine is
that I can shut it down, and back it up from first level (or from z/OS in the
other LPAR) and know that I have a consistent backup of everything including
spool.

I can supply copies of Z51MAINT user directory and 2NDLVL exec when I get back
to the office next week.

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211