On Aug 27, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Dave Jones wrote:

Hello, Adam.

Yup this would be a very slick way of distributing software; but I don't think the format of the data on the DVDs is documented anywhere, nor to I think IBM will be documenting how to use the FTPGET stage, either. During the recent 5.3 ESP program, I asked about getting FTPGET documented, but never heard back anything official from IBM.

Plus, you will notice that there are *two* undocumented stages used by the DVD restore process: FTPGET itself, and the stage right behind it: ECKDREST...that's not a part of the normal pipeline stage collection, either.

Yeah, but I don't need to know *how* either of those stages work, really.

I did some experimenting; ECKDREST works if you just download (er, and PIPE UNPACK) the disk files. FTPGET appears to just pull the binary image of the files (hunh....come to think of it, if I were doing a whole mod-3, I might need some ridiculous amount of memory to buffer the output of the initial FTPGET stage anyway, although if it does it one record at a time, not so much). UNPACK, well, UNPACKs to some track image format that ECKDREST consumes that I don't actually need to care about.

Yes, of course this might break at some point if IBM changes their formats, but it works with z/VM 5.1 through 5.3, which is, frankly, almost everyone I currently care about supporting for this product. I see that Alan just confirmed that: if they change without notice, they will do so on a release boundary, and it will be obvious because the "requires z/VM 5.1 or later" for Level 2 installation will change to...something else.\

But since it's not documented, I guess I *do* need to figure out what the format that ECKDREST uses is, so I can dump to it, run it through PIPE PACK and then split to 4M chunks or whatever it is that the CKD files actually are. ("COPYFILE ( FROM x FOR y PACK" would do this split, right?)

Adam