On 8/31/07, Rick Troth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Note that TRACKWRITE is "careful".  It won't step on a label
> that it does not expect.   If you want to blow away the target disk,
> you'll need to format it outside of TRACKWRITE.  I use CMS FORMAT.

That is really overkill. With trackwrite you formats the track as
well. You need to specify  * for the label, as the book says: "An
asterisk  to  indicate that no label is present, e.g., a fresh
temporary disk."

If you want more excitement in life, a simple pipe like this will
reveal the label (if any)
 pipe trackread 191 0 0 | trackdeblock | strfind x0000000003 | spec
13.6 | append literal * | var llb

Rob