Then Rob van der Heij wrote:
> Correct. The * is not a "don't care" but means "there is no label"
> so my example pipeline shows how to read R3 on the first track (if any)
> and extract the label. This lets you deliberately aim for your own foot.

It all comes back now!  Yep ... "been there ; done that".  I tried to
detect any prior label,  with a scheme like you advised,  and got mixed
results.  Did not have time to figure out why and when.  The solution of
formatting the target is not all that bad:  It only formats the first
cylinder,  so there is then a known label which will get obliterated.

-- R;