That seems a lot of work, when you could just ask the system who it is, and
set the system's name based on its serial number.

On the TCPIP front, again, you can just have two config files w/ the system
name as the FN, and be done with it. No editing at startup.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55                200 First Street SW