A VM based TSM server is not the same as a VM file-level backup/restore facility. The TSM server dis not provide a CMS based client. It was a server for other systems.

Now if you are pre-announcing the ability to feed backup data from other systems into the current Backup/Restore Manager, I would be interested in learning more. Sites that have z/VM and Linux suffer from split-personalities for backups. z/VM for disaster backup of DASD images and TSM backups for linux filelevel restores is how I face two different processes for backups. Others use Bacula or Amanda for the linux backups, still a split from z/VM.

A nice compromise for your Backup/Restore Manager (not going all the way to mimic a TSM server) would be if you could Read/Write properly shutdown linux filesystems and store the data with the same encrypted tape facilities you have for backup of CMS files.

/Tom Kern

Tracy Dean wrote:
Dennis,
You have read the documents correctly. The VM TSM Server was not included in the TSM 5.3 family and TSM 5.2 went end of support earlier this year. As I know you already know, IBM's solution for file level backup on z/VM is Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM, although I realize this isn't the same as a TSM server.

Tracy Dean
IBM