> I thought the DFSMS/VM SMS component only handled Shared File System
> migration/recall, not regular Mdisk file backup and restore.

Yes, that's true that it only handled SFS files. DFSMS management was
supposed to be one of the compelling reasons to switch users to SFS. It
was the only CMS-based access to TSM storage that I'm aware of, since
IBM never made the TSM API library available (at which point I would
have written a CMS client).

So I guess the question remains whether the last release of TSM/VM
remains orderable since it's a prereq for DFSMS migration? It's not very
clear from IBMlink whether it is or not.