>I thought the DFSMS/VM SMS component only handled Shared File System
>migration/recall, not regular Mdisk file backup and restore.
>
>I never installed that part of DFSMS/VM because we never wanted to
>migrate our SFS files.

DFSMS/VM support for minidisk is for copy and move.  This does not
involve a TSM server.
For SFS, DFSMS/VM supports migration/recall to ML1 and ML2 levels.
ML1 migration does not utilize a TSM server.  Migration is to an
SFS directory the installation defines.
ML2 migration does require the TSM server.  The DFSMS/VM interface
to TSM is still supported, even though the TSM server itself is not.
There are no alternatives available to the TSM server.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development