Perhaps not, but the people that make the decisions on what to devote resources
to, have "people" to do the grunt work.  And, perhaps with the number of
installs the z/VM development group does, it is highly documented all your
"local' modifications.

But in any case, you are running with the same local modification through out,
hopefully, a very long careir.

Being a VM bigot, I hate to say this, but a plain vanilla VM system, is a
hinderance to getting things done.  I tend to get stopped in the water, without
a "submit" exec.  And mine now process included members and do symbolic
subsititution, so output is routed back to the sender.  ICCF has these
functions <G>.

And of course, the cut and paste commands to move/copy lines between members.
How basic is that?

There is great things that are done to support the MVS and now Linux world
under VM.  Once VM went OCO, CMS died.  I still try to keep all of my stuff,
for support of my VSE systems, DB2, Linux, under CMS.  Perhaps I'm one of the
last ones that use CMS.  Perhaps everyone else has moved their mainframe
support to a PC platform.  Just run CP as a supercharged LPAR.

I can't believe, based on the discussions the last few days, that, based on the
number of accidental "shutdowns", that hasn't been taken as a security problem.

I'm not saying that all of this has to be done.  But, consider if there was a
VM Development supported, "function pack".  I wanted to say "CMS Utilities",
but that has been a bunch of dying code for decades.  A package of functions.
Submit, source inclusion, xedit prefix commands, method to aid in the
prevention of accidental shutdowns, a dumb performance pack, PROP utilities,
the new PIPEs perhaps called PIPE2 so we can have both running at the same
time.

The point is, each of our shops, have many in-house developed utilities.  They
are different from shop to shop, if they exist.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Thermodynamics

  Heat flows from a warmer to a cooler body, except in the case
  of a cat, in which case all heat flows to the cat.

>>> Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/8/2007 8:14 AM >>>
On Wednesday, 11/07/2007 at 05:02 EST, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But that is the problem with development folks.  They sit on the same
machine,
> day after day, year after year and think all the "user add ons" is a one
time
> thing.  The user add ons seem to take more time putting on a VM system
then the
> install of VM!

Ahem. You must be talking about generic brand "development folks".  z/VM
Development does not sit on the same machine day after day, year after
year, nor do we think post-installation customization is a one-time thing.
 When we upgrade the software or the hardware, we, like many others,
inevitably forget to enable/set something.  Our primary VM system is
actually a production system since our mission is to product development,
but it runs a development version of z/VM once it has stabilized
sufficiently to do so.

And if you like, we can add artificial delays into the install process so
that it takes longer.  :-)  What you describe is a Good Thing!  You
*should* spend more time on the things that increase the value of the
system than on the system itself.  I'm not clear on why it's a bad thing
that the install process be such a small part of the migration effort.