I agree with you..  But if you can't wait for an "official" solution
and need to resolve a problem today, then you end up with either home
grown code, you find a vendor product that does what you want, or you
implement operator procedures.  When a better solution comes along,
you decide if you can or want to migrate to it.

They don't do anything like this on internal IBM systems, they just
shut them down.  When Linux came along, we had to change the operator
procedures to first shut down the Linux systems before the VM
shutdown.  Now, on some systems without many Linux servers, the CP
SHUTDOWN process takes care of Linux, but on systems with many
servers, the operators have to follow the Linux procedure so that the
Linux servers have time to stop before VM is stopped.  I'll just say
that it works most of the time...

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support