On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Schuh, Richard wrote:

Roger’s treatise is interesting, but useless if I cannot find VMFTP. Google led me to both Mirasoft and the 1997 VM Workshop that which had a link to Mirasoft. That proved to be fruitless. Clicking on the VMFTP link leads to a list of shopping sites.

If you have z/VM 5.1 or later and you installed from DVD, look closely at the preparation steps.

There's an FTP pipe stage that does a lot of the setup for the initial installer (it's actually a couple of interesting stages: you pull a bunch of files with the FTP stage and then run them through a "CKDREST" stage to restore them onto DASD).

Now, for sure, it's unsupported and liable to change, but on the other hand it's been present in 5.1-5.3. So it might be usable for your purposes.

Adam