In a server hosting environment, user spool files may not be necessary at

you backup site. The remaining System Data Files (SDF) are not written ou
very often and you can probably do a COLD start at the backup site which
will throw away all of the spool files but not the SDF files. For extra
safety you might backup your SDF files to a CMS minidisk (DCSSBKUP/DCSSRS
AV
commands). Then at the backup site, if you do have problems with some SDF
,
you can restore it and continue. If you do need spool files to be restore
d,
then use SPXTAPE to dump all of your spool separately from your DASD back
ups
(sorry, z/OS can't do this yet), do a CLEAN start at your backup site and

restore all of your spool and SDF files from the backup tape.

/Tom Kern

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:32:34 -0500, Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro
te: