Karl--About the biggest problem you are likely to face if you take backups of 530RES and SPL is that you might or I should say, would, lose open VM spool files. An ipl from the restored volumes would have to be done using "FORCE" rather than "WARM" because there would have been no WARM START DATA saved. For better or worse, our normal backups are taken against up and running VM systems. Since you're running z/OS and doing backups from there, I would recommend doing regularly scheduled backups. The wasted effort or redundant or duplicate backups are a small price to pay for the security of knowing that a change was made and you or someone forgot to take a backup. Tapes sometimes go bad. If you have a previous backup to go back to, that's another safety net.

Jim

Karl Kingston wrote:
--=_alternative 005B0747852573CC_=

We just installed z/VM 5.3. We have 2 systems running. VM1 and VM2. Right now, all of our Linux guests (about 5) are on VM1. They also have a directory entry on VM2 (but password set to NOLOG).

1) What's the best way to do failover if we need to get something over? Right now, my plan is basically to log into VM2 and change the NOLOG to a password and then start the guest. Basically I want to avoid having our Operations staff make mistakes and start 2 instances of the same linux guest (on 2 VM systems).

2) We use FDR/ABR on our z/OS side for backing up for Disaster Recovery. We would like to keep using FDR. Now I know I can get clean backups if the systems are shut down. Are there any gotcha's if I take a FDR full dump against say 530RES or 530SPL while the system is up? \

3) last of all, how often does VM get backed up when it's just used as a Linux server system??

Thanks

--=_alternative 005B0747852573CC_=

have 2 systems running. &nbsp; VM1 and VM2. &nbsp; &nbsp;Right now, all
of our Linux guests (about 5) are on VM1. &nbsp; They also have a directory
entry on VM2 (but password set to NOLOG).</font>
if we need to get something over? &nbsp; Right now, my plan is basically
to log into VM2 and change the NOLOG to a password and then start the guest.
&nbsp; &nbsp; Basically I want to avoid having our Operations staff make
mistakes and start 2 instances of the same linux guest (on 2 VM systems).</font>
backing up for Disaster Recovery. &nbsp; &nbsp;We would like to keep using
FDR. &nbsp; &nbsp;Now I know I can get clean backups if the systems are
shut down. &nbsp; Are there any gotcha's if I take a FDR full dump against
say 530RES or 530SPL while the system is up? &nbsp;\</font>
backed up when it's just used as a Linux server system??</font>
--=_alternative 005B0747852573CC_=--

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University