Morning, Chris....

Hilliard, Chris wrote:
Let me apologize in advance for asking so many questions related to VM
software licensing.  I don't get a clear picture sometimes of what is a
non-chargeable feature and what is.  I'm preparing to install the
non-chargeable DFSMS/VM feature.  However, the install instructions list
ISPF and the C runtime library of LE as co requisites.  Does anyone know
if these two components are already installed as part of the base z/VM
or are chargeable features that need to be ordered separately?  I'm
running z/VM 5.3.

First, no need to apologize here for asking straight forward questions. We've all done so ourselves....

1) ISPF is an *optional*, chargeable feature. You don't need it to run DFSMS/VM; the only DFSMS/VM functionality you lost by not having ISPF available is the end user storage management functions and the menu driven DFSMS/VM configuration tools. In today's z/VM world, those functions are not needed as much as they were in the past. If you need these functions, you will need to license ISPF for VM from IBM. Note, however, that if you are running your z/VM system on IPL engines, you will need to get a special bid from IBM to license ISPF there....

2) LE, including the C specific runtime, is included standard with z/VM. Nothing needed to do for this.
Also, are there commands that will show me everything that's installed
on my system?  VMSES/E appears to have all the answers but not sure
where in the 800+ page manual I need to reference.  If this were z/OS, I
could get the answers easily from SMP/e.

Yeah, VM/SES-E isn't the easiest thing to understand or use. I would suggest that you start with the VMFINFO command to query the software inventory files. it can show you what's installed and what's not in your VM system. You can read more about it here " z/VM V5R3.0 VMSES/E Introduction and Reference" (http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/HCSC6B20/CCONTENTS?SHELF=hcsh2a90&DN=GC24-6130-02&DT=20070423155914) or via the CMSD HELP files for VM/SES-E. As an aside, I find the CMS online HELP facilities much superior to the on line help that is available in the TSO environment...
As always, thank you for any help.  Responses from the community thus
far have been a huge help and greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, not a problem. Enjoy z/VM, and have a good one
Thanks...Chris (a.k.a. vm newbie)

--
DJ

V/Soft
  z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
  consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com