David Boyes wrote:

Also, are there commands that will show me everything that's installed
on my system?  VMSES/E appears to have all the answers but not sure
where in the 800+ page manual I need to reference.  If this were z/OS, I
could get the answers easily from SMP/e.

The section in the VM Service manual on the software catalog has
examples. It'd be really neat if someday IBM ran a course or conference
session on how to package user tools for SES - I think more of us would
actually do it if we knew how.

You can ask IBM (nicely, of course!) for a copy of "Standard Packaging Rules for-Based Products" (SC23-3822, the version I have here is -01). It shows how to package a VM application so that it can be installed and maintained via normal VM/SES-E procedures and tools. While it's not hard to do, it does take time and a bit of effort on a vendor's part. I suspect that the major VM vendors in the marketplace simply think that it's too much work on their part with little if any payback.

I agree it would be nice to have 3rd party software packages included in the VMSES-E software inventory, and to be installable via one standard tool.

appreciated.

That's normal SOP for VM. We had to survive IBM and our management
telling us VM was dead repeatedly, so we learned to stick together. 8-)

Yeah, we've even been know to buy a newbie a beer or two at SCIDS....

--
DJ

V/Soft
  z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
  consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com