Testing on my customer's system confirms my thoughts that -with the
WebPac/1 extension- a CGI can live in an SFS directory without being
listed in CGI FILELIST.
The classic way: (DEMOENV CGI lives in SFSD:HTTPD.WEBSHARE.KRIS and is
listed in CGI FILELIST on SFSD:HTTPD.WEBSHARE.KRIS)
   http://vmct/kris/cgi/demoenv
The alternative: DEMOENVX CGI  is *not* listed in the CGI FILELIST,
but this works too:
   http://vmct/kris/demoenvx.cgi
The PACKAGE CHANGES file list this:
  o CGIs in SFS
   Changes made to:
      WEBSRVSP REXX
      WEBSRVHT REXX

Rick, you write "you should code it and contribute it."  I would be
pleased to contribute my changes to Webshare (based on the Webpac/1
level):
-support SFSdir names longer than 8 chars
-support multi-part HTML (or server push)
-BFS support
  Hardcoded convention: when the URL starts with "BFS" or "BFSBIN" we
  extract files from BFS:
   for BFS:      /../VMBFS:SFSD:HTTPDBFS/
   for BFSBIN:   /../VMBFS:SFSD:HTTPDBFS/bin/
  BFSBIN files are supposed to be stored in ASCII, for others
  it depends on the filetype (as for CMS files) e.g. .GIF=bin

I created BFS support to make imbedding existing HTML document sets
(with long and/or mixed case fileids; spanning subdirectories) a piece
of cake.

The not-so-nice thing is that the updates are directly applied to the
REXX execs (i.e. take one extension and not the others would be
difficult and Webpac/1 is a hard pre-req).  How to proceed if there is
interest?

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support