        From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Colin Allinson
        Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 04:13 AM
        To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
        Subject: DFSMS/RMS question

        We have been using DFSMS/RMS on VM for a long time. At the weekend we
had an issue which, I suspect, has happened before but not been identified.

        We have 16 drives per VTS shared between 6 VM systems (VMTAPE STAM)
handles the sharing of the drives.

        Yesterday, on only one of these drives, I was getting a message that
there were no scratch volumes available. An identical mount request (for the
same scratch pool) in an adjacent drive in the same  VTS was satisfied without
problems.

        I think I know what happened - but I am not sure if this is a bug (or
how to handle it). What I think happened is this:-

        When RMSMASTR was started on this system, it went through it's
initialisation process but this particular drive was in use at the time. As a
result, RMS is confused.

        If I am right then a restart of RMSMASTR would solve the problem for
this drive but create other potential problems with the other drives in use.
Because we have drives in use for long periods of time (by TPF test guest
systems) it would almost take a system outage to have no VTS drives in use.

        Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this situation? If so
then :-
        a) Does my theory sound correct?
        b) Is this a reportable bug (should I open a PMR)?
        c) Is there a way to get round this problem (for example: can I get
RMSMASTR to reinitialise a specific drive)?

        Thanks in advance

        Colin Allinson
        Technical Manager - VM Systems Support
        Operating Systems Services
        Amadeus Data Processing GmbH

        www.amadeus.com <http://www.amadeus.com/>

        IMPORTANT  -  CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE  - This e-mail is intended only
for the use of the individual or entity shown above as addressees . It may
contain information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure under applicable laws .  If the reader of this transmission is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
printing, distribution, copying, disclosure or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply
e-mail or using the address below and delete the message and any attachments
from your system .

        Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
        Geschäftsführer: Eberhard Haag
        Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erding