We do DDR's and SPXTAPE every day to virtual (VTS) tapes. Treat them like
physical tapes.

SPXTAPE's for DR - same as using physical tapes: if the spool files won't fit
on one tape you'll need to mount enough scratch tapes for SPXTAPE to use:
vmtape mount scratch 181 dsn jrr.spxtape.1OF3 (retpd 21
vmtape mount scratch 182 dsn jrr.spxtape.2OF3 (retpd 21
vmtape mount scratch 183 dsn jrr.spxtape.3OF3 (retpd 21
CP SPXTAPE DUMP 181-183 SPOOL ALL
(or whatever subsets of spool you want)

I haven't tried it in a long time, but if you're not using the DFSMS sharing
exit (or are, but code its rexx exec to allow it), you can mount any volid in
the VTS by using DFSMSRM MOUNT commands. I'm not sure if VMTAPE supports that.
Experiment, try it.
  The fine print on DFSMSRM MOUNT says a peer-to-peer VTS won't let you change
a volume's category but that's not a show-stopper, shouldn't need to.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.