On Thursday, 04/10/2008 at 04:05 EDT, Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >  1. The MDISK must be defined as MWV.  If you don't do that, the
virtual
> >  machine will get a COMMAND REJECT on a RESERVE CCW.
>
> Uh... don't think so. If your mini disk starts at cylinder 0 and the
> real volume is shared, the reserve CCW would be a real one...

Without the V, CCW translation will reject the RESERVE.

> >  3. If the MDISK is a fullpack minidisk (DEVNO or 0-END) then the
minidisk
> >  is ELIGIBLE for real RESERVE/RELEASE.
>
> Isn't the check for "start at 0" rather than full pack?  I recall our
> RACF database sitting at cyl 0 and we had some other mini disks behind
> it. That works because RACF does not really do reserve/release.

It is full pack, not start at 0.  And, yes, RACF really does RESERVEs on
ECKD volumes.  He does not on FBA volumes and this is why database sharing
is not permitted.

When RACF comes up you can see the messages on his console telling you if
reserve/release is available.