On Thursday, 04/10/2008 at 02:54 EDT, "Quay, Jonathan (IHG)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To share with other LPARS you need REAL reserve/release, which I think
> entails coding SHARED in on the RDEV in the system configuration file.

1. The MDISK must be defined as MWV.  If you don't do that, the virtual
machine will get a COMMAND REJECT on a RESERVE CCW.

2. A successful RESERVE is always enforced on the local VM system. Always.

3. If the MDISK is a fullpack minidisk (DEVNO or 0-END) then the minidisk
is ELIGIBLE for real RESERVE/RELEASE.

4. If the volume containing the mdisk is defined as SHARED in SYSTEM
CONFIG or via SET SHARED ON, a virtual R/R will be enforced locally AND a
real R/R will flow to the volume.

So the only case where a real Reserve/Release is used is MWV + fullpack +
SHARED.