You're correct, Marty, there are no back pointers from the allocation
structures for a particular paging "slot" or volume back to the virtual p
age
or pages that reside there.

The problem with scanning the PGMBKs is, of course (in addition to there
being lots and lots of them), that PGMBKs are themselves pageable, and so

are not all in storage.  A new routine could be written to scan all PGMBK
s,
including bringing in any that are paged out (or at least, copies of them
),
but it's not exactly a small undertaking.  If it were easy, we'd have add
ed
the "active DASD Drain / Migrate" function to find and migrate such pages

long ago.

Also, it's not at all a safe assumption that the "offending" page is a us
er
or guest page, it could just as easily be a CP page for some pageable CP
utility space.

- Bill Holder
  z/VM Development, IBM