Well, that's not entirely true, actually.  R/W NSS/DCSS pages are general
ly
treated exactly like R/O NSS/DCSS pages, for most normal uses.  Where it
gets a little strange is when you've got, for example, a page range that
is
defined SW (Shared Writeable), but is loaded exclusively (non-shared), in

that case, what that one user who does the exclusive load gets is differe
nt
from what the other users have - the exclusive load user does not get the

shared writeable copy of the page that may have already been changed by
other users, but rather gets their own personal (still writeable) copy of

the original contents, read from the original SPOOL DASD.  Once that
"perosnal" copy is made, it's paged out and back in just like any other
private page in that user's space.  There are a couple of further arcane
complications involving member segments and exclusive re-loads of somethi
ng
already loaded, but I'd rather not get into that discussion (as I'd have
go do some homework again first).

I think I answered most of your second paragraph questions in a previous
post, if not, let me know.  But your last point is correct, that last pag
holding out on the DRAINing paging volume could well be an NSS/DCSS page.

- Bill

- Bill Holder
  z/VM Development, IBM

On Thu, 8 May 2008 13:10:23 -0400, David Kreuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
om>
wrote:

>read-only nss/dcss pages are most certainly paged out. They are not
reloaded from spool.
>read-write nss/dcss pages different story they are read in fresh from sp
ool

>Finding which nss pages are on a disk is probably a smaller control bloc
chase than going through the vmdbk chain. Looked at that a bit yesterday
and
was a bit of a head scratcher.
>David
>
>>However, this got me to wondering about DCSSes or NSSes.  What happens
when a user or group of users request a DCSS or NSS and do not use all of

it?  Do unused portions of DCSSes and NSSes get paged out or just deleted

>as they can be reloaded if they are needed?  Where I am going with the
question is, could that page on the PAGE belong to a portion of a DCSS or

NSS that many users may eventually need?