Sections of NSSes and DCSSes that have never been referenced by any user
still reside only on the original SPOOL space they were saved to.  For
initial reads from SPOOL, NSS and DCSS pages are "blocked" in large (up t
half a meg, I believe) paging blocks, so if one page is touched, the whol
group comes in.  Once that has happened for a set of pages, then the
"active" copies of those pages will reside in storage, xstore, or on PAGE

space much like any other virtual storage page (that is, as long as any u
ser
has the DCSS or NSS loaded).  One the last user has dropped access to the

NSS or DCSS, it reverts back to the "initial read from SPOOL" state again
.

- Bill Holder
  z/VM Development, IBM

On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:35:18 -0400, Stracka, James (GTS)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Martha,
>
>Others have suggested labor intensive ways to find this.  I know of no
program to do it.  Perhaps you are thinking of the SPOOL chain program.

>However, this got me to wondering about DCSSes or NSSes.  What happens w
hen
a user or group of users request a DCSS or NSS and do not use all of it?
 Do
unused portions of DCSSes and NSSes get paged out or just deleted as they

can be reloaded if they are needed?  Where I am going with the question i
s,
could that page on the PAGE belong to a portion of a DCSS or NSS that man
users may eventually need?

>By the way, a suggestion made to me many years ago when we could not fin
the owner of a dataset (yes, my other operating system days) on a 3330 we

were converting to 3350 was to remove the volume and see who screams.
Nobody screamed.  That might work for a minidisk but certainly would make
 CP
upset if you removed the page volume on a running system and CP eventuall
tried retrieve it.  Do you feel lucky?

>I just realized you said "3 months".  Apparently you did not IPL for
Daylight Saving Time so waiting for Standard Time is not an option.

>Good luck,
>Jim

proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicat
ed,
this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment
products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation
of
any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to
applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain
e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of

the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and E
may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the coun
try
in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure
or
error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following
link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merril
Lynch you consent to the foregoing.