I created a Hipersockets VLAN.
I stopped the interface in TCPIP, detached the real hipersockets, defined a
NIC and coupled it to the VLAN.
I did the same on the z/OS guest, (which required an IPL, the devices were
still active after stopping the adapter, VTAM?) and now the z/VM on the VLAN
and the z/OS on the VLAN can talk to one another.
So it's either a real hardware issue, doubtful, or some interaction between
z/VM and z/OS.
I haven't found any hits searching IBMLink.

--
Mark Pace
Mainline Information Systems