To your first paragraph, Dave, actually, umm, no.
The overhead is really small for [X]NTPD on Linux.

I agree that NTP in each Linux is silly.
But the evidence suggests that NTPD is the best behaved, smallest footprint,
and all decency of the many daemons possessing virtual Linuxen.  In my shop,
XNTPD was the first background process we whacked.  But it became clear that
it was the  *last*  one we really needed to whack.
We turned it back on.

Running the NTP server is a whole lot better than even a daily 'ntpdate' via
CRON.  And precise time synch is vital to any multi-node transactional
stuff.  (NFS is a common example. Dunno how sensitive WAS and the like are
to clock skew.)  Now ... an 'ntpdate' at guest boot-up would suffice for
local apps.  (The clock is just that stable.)  But we have lots of network
relationships to worry about.

The spiffy thing about time on System z is that the clock is incredibly
stable.  (Ticks at the right rate, though may be off by several minutes.
It's always off by the same "several minutes" to great precision.)  If we
could get the underlying clock set really accurately, I suspect we'd still
want to run NTP on most guests for validation and consistency.

And incidentally, this is a problem in the VMware world too.  (Unless they
fixed it quite recently.)

--
-- R; <><