Rick,

Now I'm confused.  You write:
> Running the NTP server is a whole lot better than even a daily 'ntpdate'
via CRON.
and
> The spiffy thing about time on System z is that the clock is incredibly
stable.
So which is it?

We wrote about having one server running the full xntpd to a reliable time
source. I guess that would make it a stratum n-1 server. Then the other
"penguins in the colony" run ntpdate nightly against the first server
(thanks to Rob van der Heij for that suggestion). That would make them
stratum n-2 servers. It seemed like a good balance. But we never tested it
with an app that demands clock synchronization.

So did you find that this model didn't work?

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061