From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Michael Coffin
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:07 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Publicly Accessible minidisks

That would cause the disk to be LINKed, but it still needs to be
ACCESSed as well.

Chris, your best advice is to set up a minidisk that is for "public"
stuff that you don't want to put on the MAINT 190 or 19E minidisk (the
ONLY two system disks that are automatically accessed when CMS is
IPL'ed).  You will find that there are going to be things that you want
all users to have access to, and you may want to override certain things
on the 190/19E minidisks so access your local "public" disk at a
filemode lower than S (say R or Q).

I am assuming that you have standard PROFILE statements in your CP
source directory (whether using an ESM like VM:Secure, DIRMAINT or
nothing at all).  For the purposes of this discussion, let's say you
create a userid named PUBLIC and its 191 disk is what you want all users
to access as R, linked as 319.  You'll create a little exec named
VMCONFIG to do your local customizations:

1.  Add the following to your directory PROFILE(s):  LINK PUBLIC 191 319
RR

2.  Modify the SYSPROF EXEC on the MAINT 490/190 disk(s) to call a local
user exit.  HINT: Your code should execute right after the 'SET COMDIR
RELOAD' statement.  Remember that SYSPROF EXEC is in the INSTSEG so
you'll need to resave this once your updates have been made, and of
course since this is a CMS system minidisk makes your changes to MAINT
490, test them, then promote them to MAINT 190 using VMSES update
procedures.

3.  Create your VMCONFIG EXEC and put it on PUBLIC 191.  It can be as
simple as one statement which reads "ACCESS 319 R", but of course since
ALL users will now execute this you can be a lot more creative if you
choose to.  My VMCONFIG customizes virtual machines based on CP account
numbers and ACIGROUPs.

That's it!  You now have a public disk that all users will have access
to.  It preceeds the CMS minidisks so you can override programs on the
CMS minidisks if you need to (assuming they aren't NUCX or EXEC loaded,
in which case you'll need to make sure the RIGHT programs get loaded
accordingly).  Put ANY stuff that you want all users to have access to
on PUBLIC 191 and they'll automagically pick up access to it at filemode
"R".

-Mike