As a matter of fact, we have not been borrowing storage. We have had to
bite the bullet and throw iron at the problem. Our current size was
calculated to tide us over for 3 years. The memory used by the other
LPARs sits idle until they are activated. I can see the possibility of
our not making it the full 3 years with our current memory - the z/TPF
machines are larger than the estimates. The use of the normally idle
memory would probably suffice to get us to that point, so we may have to
resort to borrowing memory from idle LPARs and taking the disruptions.
That or a push to get off-budget funding for an early upgrade.

There is no such thing as half a loaf. Either we disrupt operation or we
don't. It doesn't matter whether it is 1 time or 10 (Decimal). For
example, suppose we schedule two disruptions four hours apart - one to
give memory to another LPAR and the second to re-incorporate it into the
VM LPAR. That will cause a work outage somewhere around the globe and
the four hours will be seen as unproductive time - they will not want to
start something that might not finish before the disruptions. Another
problem is the scheduling of long-running tests. They cannot be started
if they will be disrupted by LPAR deactivation. So we have the problem
of trying to schedule long running tests, some as long as 72 hours,
around the times that native LPARs are scheduled. This can lead to some
unacceptable delays to one or the other. Thus the ferrous solution
because there is no way to borrow memory and give it back without
disruption.

Regards,
Richard Schuh