From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Holder
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:54 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 5.2 and the 2GB Line

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:57:22 -0700, Schuh, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrot=
e:

I have been unable to come up with the magic search argument to get this=

list to spit out the answer to the question, "What is the

total GB of
virtual storage, the sum of the VM sizes, can z/VM 5.2

handle without
running into the dreaded 2GB line constraint?", so I will

ask the list.

What is it?
Regards,
Richard Schuh

The answer is, of course, the trademarked "it depends". There are severa=
different forms of the constraint, and all are dependent on workload. Ev=
en
something as apparently unrelated as how dense or sparse the guests' stor=
age
reference patterns tend to be can greatly influence the degree to which t= he constraint will be an issue for a given total virtual storage size. I'm =
not
sure if we even have typical or average numbers, but I can ask around. =

- Bill Holder, z/VM Development, IBM