If TCPIP were not authorized, he wouldn't have gotten: HCPLGA054E
Already logged on disconnected.

Maybe the server was being watched (and restarted) by some other
service machine.  I.e.  TCPIP forces it, the other watcher restarts it
before TCPIP does.  Check the system console.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support