From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
O'Brien, Dennis L
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 11:11 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Paging volumes, size vs. number

We are sizing a new z/VM system for a Linux guest workload.  We traditionally
use 3390-3 size devices for paging.  We determined that we need 16 3390-3's for
this particular workload.  Our DASD people asked if we could use 3390-9's
instead.  Based on space, they want to give us 6 3390-9's for paging (rounding
up).  Assuming we have four FICON channels, is there any performance benefit to
having more than 4 paging devices?  I.e. is 16 devices better than 6 on 4
channels?

The system isn't built yet, so using a performance monitor isn't possible.

                                                       Dennis O'Brien

We are Borg of America.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.