the operators usually use the supplied operator ID in the VM directory
it can be restricted as you prefer with letter class on the ID
they can also use OP1

 USER OPERATOR xxxxxx  32M 32M ABCDEFG

             "Bauer, Bobby
             (NIH/CIT) [E]"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             .gov>                     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             Sent by: The IBM                                           cc
             z/VM Operating
             System                                                Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         VM operator console?
             ARK.EDU>

             10/07/2008 10:20
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

We are an MVS shop setting up a Linux under VM pilot and need to have some
procedures in place for operations. We are trying to figure out how/where
we want the operators to have console access. Right now only the sys.
progs. have any access to VM and we use a telnet session from our desks to
a VM user id or use the HMC. Is there a master console we can setup for
operations like MVS? Should we setup a userid for the operators? Make them
use the HMC?
Is there another alternative I've not mentioned and don't know about?

Thanks

Bobby Bauer
Center for Information Technology
National Institutes of Health