On Wednesday, 12/10/2008 at 08:39 EST, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I attempted this yesterday, and I haven?t searched the archives yet, so
if this
> has been gone over, I apologize.
>
> Looking through the books, it would appear that the changes needed to go
from
> layer 3 to layer 2 protocol would be to add ?ETHERNET? to the vSwitch
> definition, and to add ?ETHERNET? to the DEVICE description in the
profile
> TCPIP file. Now, as you may well have guessed by the fact that I?m
posting this
> message, doing this didn?t produce desirable results. I.E. The
connection doesn?
> t ping or work in any other useful way.

There is no ETHERNET option on the DEVICE statement, so you're probably
getting configuration errors and the device isn't activating.  Check the
TCPIP console log.  In z/VM 5.4 there is an ETHERNET statement on the LINK
(type QDIOETHERNET) statement.  This capability is not in z/VM 5.3.

> Do I need to talk to the network people? Is there something they need to
do in
> the OSA, or on the network? Have I missed something in the
configuration? Do I
> need to check for more current maintenance? (Right now, this is on z/VM
5.3...
> Soon to be 5.4)

Layer 2 vs. 3 is set entirely within the OSA by the host.  There's nothing
for your networking people to do.  Remember, however, that with Layer 2
the virtual MAC address will appear on the REAL network.  Therefore it
must be unique within the LAN segment.  With a single VM system you're ok,
but with two or more systems on the same LAN segment, you need to use the
MACPREFIX in SYSTEM CONFIG to set the prefix to be unique.