Ray can you ping your gateway?
Can your Linux machine ping itself?

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Ray Waters
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 12:38
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Unable to PING the LINUX server

Newbie to LINUX. I am trying to bring up SUSE for the first time under
z/VM 540. I have downloaded the SUSE LINUX for mainframes from NOVELL.
Everything worked as it should during the install, except I cannot PING
172.16.24.129 from my VM userid WATERSR running on the same z/VM 540
system.

I think maybe my NETWORK PARMS are incorrect but do not know. The
VSWITCH seems fine. Any ideas why I cannot connect to LINUX? I tried
using PUTTY and could not connect. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

VM Directory entry for NIC in NOVSTART:

NICDEF 0340 TYPE QDIO LAN SYSTEM VSWITCH1

PROFILE TCPIP:

HOME

172.16.24.100  255.255.252.0  LCHHOSAX

DEFAULTNET                      172.16.24.2     LCHHOSAX   1500

NETWORK PARMS:

IPADDR=172.16.24.129

 NETMASK=255.255.252.0

 GATEWAY=172.16.24.2

 NAMESERVER=10.0.0.23       (was not sure what to enter on this line)

 FQDN=novstart.example.com

 LAYER2=N

 DHCP=N

PROFILE EXEC:

/* PROFILE EXEC for NOVSTART SLES Installation server */

'CP SET PF12 RETRIEVE'

'CP SPOOL CON TO WATERSR'

'CP SPOOL CON START'

'CP SET RUN ON'

'ACCESS 19F D'

'SWAPGEN 160 200000'

OWNER = 'SYSTEM'

lan_name = 'VSWITCH1'

COUPLE 340 SYSTEM VSWITCH1         (is this COUPLE needed???)

Say 'Enter a non-blank character and ENTER (or two ENTERs) within 10'

Say ' seconds to interrupt Linux IPL.'

'WAKEUP +00:10 (CONS'

If rc = 6 Then Do

   Say 'Interrupt: entering CMS.'

   Pull   /* Clear Stack */

   Say 'IPL 150 CLEAR to boot Linux from DASD'

   Say 'SLES to boot SLES installation system from reader'

    End

 Else Do

    'CP IPL 150 CLEAR'

 End

Part of console log for LINUX

Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (s390x) - Kernel
2.6.16.60-0.21-default (ttyS0)."

"

 "

 novstart login:

I am ABLE to LOGIN to LINUX while I am logged on to user NOVSTART.

I am unable to FTP to 172.16.24.129 from my PC.

I am unable to connect with PUTTY.

q novstart

NOVSTART - DSC

Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:15:35

q vswitch details

VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWITCH1 Type: VSWITCH Connected: 1    Maxconn: INFINITE

  PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    NONROUTER                 Accounting: OFF

  VLAN Unaware

  MAC address: 02-00-00-00-00-01

  State: Ready

  IPTimeout: 5         QueueStorage: 8

  Isolation Status: OFF

  RDEV: 0C30.P00 VDEV: 0C30 Controller: DTCVSW1

    VSWITCH Connection:

      MAC address: 00-14-5E-B7-26-99

      RX Packets: 9          Discarded: 8708472    Errors: 0

      TX Packets: 182        Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

      RX Bytes: 480                  TX Bytes: 12969

      Device: 0C30  Unit: 000   Role: DATA       vPort: 0001  Index:
0001

  Adapter Connections:

    Adapter Owner: NOVSTART NIC: 0340.P00 Name: UNASSIGNED

      RX Packets: 4130       Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

      TX Packets: 15         Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

      RX Bytes: 865581               TX Bytes: 1082

      Device: 0342  Unit: 002   Role: DATA       vPort: 0090  Index:
0090

        Unicast IP Addresses:

          172.16.24.129        MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-02

          FE80::200:0:100:2    MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-02 Local

        Multicast IP Addresses:

          224.0.0.1            MAC: 01-00-5E-00-00-01

          224.0.1.22           MAC: 01-00-5E-00-01-16

          239.255.255.253      MAC: 01-00-5E-7F-FF-FD

          FF02::1              MAC: 33-33-00-00-00-01 Local

          FF02::1:FF00:2       MAC: 33-33-FF-00-00-02 Local

Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:17:49

Ray Waters

Senior Technical Support Analyst

Open Solutions Inc.
3900 Essex Lane, Suite 400
Houston, TX  77027-5100

Office 713-965-8451

Cell    713-705-5403

Email ray.wat...@opensolutions.com

www.opensolutions.com

NOTICE:
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this
e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of
communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the
original message at the listed email address. Thank You.