Is this the vendor's long-term answer, requiring old code to support their
app?

If the app is critical to that site, and the situation is short term, then
perhaps *maybe* it's OK.  But I would want a clear, concise written
agreement that the vendor is diligently working on an upgrade to eliminate
this obvious cludge -- and a time-dependent penalty clause.

Perhaps the vendor (whichever) just trying to allocate their ever- and
over-hyped "limited development dollars" by not throwing people at the
development problem?  More people on a project doesn't always result in
better code, shipped sooner (can you spell "VM/XA SF", or even just
"VM/XA"?).

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"David Boyes" <dbo...@sinenomine.net>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
02/03/2009 09:53 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Philosophical question...

Background:

Upgrading a system to current level. Have a vendor product that insists on
the installation of a backlevel component application that causes the
configuration and service management system to report errors in the
configuration. Vendor insists that the backlevel component is the only
way, but the errors cause problems with future upgrades and overall
configuration management by reporting false positives when checked for
whether the system is up to date and has all service applied.

Question:

I believe the maker of the vendor product is in error here. Am I wrong?

-- db

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.