From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Kris Buelens
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 10:50 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to update the second Dirmaint

You want to manage two VM systems and a single directory describing
them both?  Then indeed you can use a subset of CSE (Cross System
Extensions).  You'd have one DIRMAINT running on one VM system.  That
DIRMAINT would use a DIRMSAT machine in the other VM system to perform
directory updates.  RSCS is required to send the requests from tyhe
central DIRMAINT to its DIRMSAT machine(s).
Somehow I doubt you want to work like that: a single directory to
manage a z/VM 5.4 anfd one 5.3 would required a lot of SYSAFFIN
records in the directory (with SYSAFFIN you can tell that some records
in the directory are valid only for a specific system).  I don't know
the syntax by heart, but MAINT  for example would look a bit like:
   USER MAINT
   SYSAFFIN system53
   MDISK 190 ..... 530RES ...
   MDISK 193 ..... 530RES ...
   MDISK 19E ..... 530RES ...
   MDISK 19D ..... 530RES ...
   SYSAFFIN system54
   MDISK 190 ..... 540RES ...
   MDISK 193 ..... 540RES ...
   MDISK 19E ..... 540RES ...
   MDISK 19D ..... 540RES ...

No USER DIRECT on the z/VM 5.3 system?  I think to understand you have
DIRMAINT there too:
 DIRM USER BACKUP
 then look for USER BACKUP on DIRMAINT 1DF

Behalf Of sunny...@wcb.ab.ca
> Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:57 AM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: How to update the second Dirmaint
>

> We have one DIRMAINT running on V5.3. Lots of Linux on it
> Now I plan to turn on the second DIRMAINT on V5.4.
> In the future, we plan to synchronize each other.
>
> My questions:
> 1: Can DIRMAINTs on  V5.3 and V5.4 be synchronized
> 2: Do I need to manually update all the files such as extent control,
user direct?
>    But there is no user direct on V5.3. So where I can get it?
>
> Please help me!
>

> Sunny Hu
> I. M. Technical Services
> W.C.B. Alberta
> (780) 498-4739
> sunny...@wcb.ab.ca

> This message is intended only for the addressee. It may contain
privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify us immediately so that we may correct our internal records.
Please then delete the original email. Thank you. (Sent by Webgate2)

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support