As one of the SWAPGEN authors, I've watched this discussion.

I'd note that Barton's original statement stands, in the context in which he
said it: VDISK has always provided better *performance* in every observed case.
The concerns about "using up real memory" have never been supported by the data.

The pathological cases of "This guest runs away, real Swap DASD gives me a
chance to control it" are perfectly valid, but don't contradict the statement
that VDISK is better *for performance*; rather, they support it.

...phsiii
              • ... Rob van der Heij
          • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
            • ... Marcy Cortes
              • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
      • ... Doug Shupe
        • ... Barton Robinson
        • ... Tom Duerbusch
    • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
      • ... Barton Robinson
        • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
  • ... Phil Smith III