From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:32 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: SWAPGEN

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com> wrote:

> The pathological cases of "This guest runs away, real Swap DASD gives
me a chance to control it" are perfectly valid, but don't contradict the
statement that VDISK is better *for performance*; rather, they support
it.

Let me show you the numbers on a beer coaster then...

I worked with Terry on his setup and recommended that in this
exceptional case it would make sense to "put a gravel bed next to the
road to slow down the penguin with no brakes"  It turns out their
application had a bug/failure in that it had apparently an endless
demand for memory in some situation. Since VDISK is fast, you can fill
it up pretty quick - at 40 MB/s your 2G VDISK is full in a minute. But
filling up the VDISK did not hurt z/VM, it just made Linux give up
when it ran out of swap space. And that hurt their application
(probably the ungraceful shutdown required journal recovery etc of a
large disk, etc).

If you do the math, you will see that a penguin with intention to kill
itself could also fill a 2G real disk in 10 minutes or so. In this
case that was enough because they were sitting next to it during the
test. When you don't expect it to happen, you will not be there in
time to rescue the penguin.

So I conclude: when the memory requirements of the application exceed
your planned capacity "just a little" (say less than the swap space
you set up to support Linux memory over commit) then VDISK will do
fine. It does not hurt z/VM and it avoids people complain about the
sudden slowdown. When Linux needs way more than planned, it will fill
up swap space (whether VDISK or real) and the Out-of-Memory Killer
will stop vital processes during the crash. The only advantage of the
real swap disk is that it postpones the moment of crash with an hour
and costs more money. Not a hard choice for me.

Tuning by opinion and fear rarely is cost-effective.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software
    • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
      • ... Barton Robinson
        • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
  • ... Phil Smith III
    • ... Rob van der Heij
      • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)