From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Barton Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:42 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: SWAPGEN

giving real disks to swap is a real waste of resource. It is much better to take the "extra disk resource" that you allocate but never want to use, and assign it to z/VM paging to enhance your paging subsystem. Then define two vdisks for swap, prioritize them, and set an

alert when the 2nd disk is being used.

Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
wrote:
Hi

I am using SWAPGEN to define by z/Linux VDISKS I also want to define a

real disk for swap. My question is can I use SWAPGEN to define a swap
on
real DASD? If you have an example of the control card syntax to accomplish this that would be great?
//Thank You,//

//Terry Martin//

//Lockheed Martin - Information Technology//

//z/OS & z/VM Systems - Performance and Tuning//

//Cell - 443 632-4191//

//Work - 410 786-0386//

//terry.ma...@cms.hhs.gov <mailto:terry.ma...@cms.hhs.gov>//

          • ... Mike Walter
            • ... Rich Smrcina
              • ... Rob van der Heij
          • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
            • ... Marcy Cortes
              • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
      • ... Doug Shupe
        • ... Barton Robinson
        • ... Tom Duerbusch
    • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
      • ... Barton Robinson
        • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
  • ... Phil Smith III
    • ... Rob van der Heij
      • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)