Spare LPAR? Surely you jest. What with z/TPF and Linux, every spare byte of
memory is allocated.

Some times, when MVS isn't chewing up a lot of bandwidth, we get as fast or
faster response from the remote site. I presume that is because the SL3000
buffers data and gives immediate responses. When the network has spare time,
the tapes can be driven at nearly their capacity.

Like I told Dennis, I do not think that attaching the drive to a virtual
machine will give useful results. CP manages the I/O and the IPL sequence is
emulated. The only real test will be to IPL in an LPAR. That will involve the
HMC and a real IPL sequence, which are the really big question marks.

Regards,
Richard Schuh