(In the following comments, I use the term thin client in lose terms, it
can either be a true thin client or a pc that boots from the network,
PXE, TFTP and all that stuff).

I'm a little confused by this virtualized desktop thread.  To me, it
sounds like LTSP or the pregen'd system K12LTSP.  I've worked more with
the K12LTSP flavor, because it's pregen'd, quick and easy and I wanted
to see what thin client was all about. (I did this about 4 years ago).
IIRC, the thin client, with regards to the mouse, could be run one of
two ways, either 1) the mouse traffic goes across the network, which
does generate a lot of traffic. I watched my network switch while moving
the mouse. The port light/led really did a lot of blinking when I moved
the mouse or 2) the kernel and a few other pieces of software get down
loaded to the thin client, thus avoiding all of the mouse network
traffic. Yeah, downloading the kernel, etc, takes a few extra seconds,
but no mouse network traffic. The other thing that comes to mind with
K12LTSP is that you can keep some files on the server, swap space for
example and maybe /tmp.  Swap space could be almost as bad as the mouse
if a lot of swapping is going on.
I've always wanted to try LTSP on zLinux, just never had the time.
It would seem to me that downloading the kernel, et al, would be the
thing to do.
Or am I missing the mark (not Post <g>) here about the topic/thread?

Steve