Ward, Mike S wrote:
Hello, all. I have a question. It seems that we are looking into a
virtualized desktop environment (Single Image) on our distributed side.
I kind of laugh at this because that's where we came from with VM and an
OS running under VM (Green Screen) long ago and now it's making full
circle. In VM how do you determine the amount of hardware MIPS, Disk,
Etc... for let's say 1000 users? Is there any kind of formula to go by?
I know in the distributed environment, it will probably take a lot of
disk space, and as far as performance I don't think it would be as
snappy as a real VM system. I used to work at a shop where we had 2500
users and a few with APL, that's right APL. Anyone that's been around
knows what APL programmers did for VM. And in that shop response time
was good even under MVS/CICS under VM. Anyway any comments, suggestions,
criticisms are welcome.
We recently did a POC to see if we could replace about 1000 Windows PC with thin clients linked to VMware running on HP blades and a HP SAN storage. The POC worked well with 10 users. We are probably going to implement it in the next fiscal year. I don't have the costs with me now but the 10 HP blades that we will need cost more than a z10.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit