Not sure about what APL did for VM but I remember being chucked off MTS for
having the largest VM size. It was a weekend and I thought the system would
quiet but it was paging to disk that day, and my 10 line program killed the
system...

.. (it was my undergraduate project and did resource leveling on a Gant
chart using heuristic methods..)

> > was good even under MVS/CICS under VM. Anyway any comments, suggestions,
> > criticisms are welcome.
> >
> We recently did a POC to see if we could replace about 1000 Windows PC
> with thin clients linked to VMware running on HP blades and a HP SAN
> storage. The POC worked well with 10 users. We are probably going to
> implement it in the next fiscal year. I don't have the costs with me now
> but the 10 HP blades that we will need cost more than a z10.

Building PC's capable of running many virtual machines can be expensive, but
I would have thought fewer bigger machines would be better value for money.
In any case when you consider the number of Network Cards and SAN HBA cards
you will need those alone probably come close to small mainframe...

On the other hand the support costs of maintaining one image rather than
1000 PCs will probably save you money in the first few days...